Any restaurant which joins hands with Grubhub can witness the drastic, positive impact that this online and mobile food ordering platform brings to the business and its management.
While a website for restaurants is highly mandatory to seek advantage from digital food orders, partnering with third party food ordering platforms also helps independent restaurants to augment their existing customer base and sales percentage.
Grubhub Direct for Independent Restaurants
Third-party delivery services across the U.S. had to face severe criticism from several restaurants during and after the pandemic for the skyrocketing commission fees that they charged. In response, these delivery platforms launched several measures to address the concern. Following the footsteps of Uber Eats and DoorDash, Grubhub came up with ‘Grubhub Direct’ – a version that was specifically geared towards the benefit of independent restaurants (the segment that had paid the most as commission fees).
With Grubhub launching ‘Grubhub Direct’ – a great platform for independent restaurants to utilize in order to build their personal online storefronts and secure commission-free food orders.
Grubhub Direct offers restaurants an opportunity to build a professional website, create and promote loyalty programs, process and manage food orders and also gain access to customer databases (customer names, email id, order history and culinary preferences). Using this, restaurants can change the dynamics of business and turn the tide in their favor.
Grubhub Business Model
Grubhub has displayed a stupendous growth since 2004 and also achieved the remarkable milestone of getting an IPO status in 2014. Its growth graph can be attributed to the strategic business model and a revenue generation policy that competitors could not replicate or implement.
A list of restaurants are made available to customers. They choose their favorite food from a restaurant offering the cuisine they are looking for. They make use of the offers and special discounts available on the platform. While placing orders, users can refine the search results by using the location filter.
ii) Place Orders:
Once the order is decided, users can complete the transaction by making a digital payment or opt for Cash On Delivery (COD).
Once the customer places the order, Grubhub redirects it to the restaurant chosen. The restaurant accepts the order, prepares the food and gets it packed for the delivery agent to pick up.
Grubhub drivers pick up the food from the restaurant and deliver it at the doorstep of the customer.
The unique and salient features that Grubhub offers to its customers are:
- It has forged a partnership with nearly all restaurants in major U.S. cities. This provides customers with a wide variety of food choices.
- It offers special coupons and discounts to users of various restaurants depending on the agreements and partnerships.
- Grubhub has in place a robust rating system that places restaurants in an orderly fashion (based on the reviews). Customer reviews are based on the quality of food and their experience.
- Grubhub’s technology enhances user experience by informing them about the distance of the restaurant from their current location, food price comparison, delivery fee, and probable waiting time until the order is delivered. Apart from this extensive information, there is also an active 24X7 customer support team to help people in need.
- The ‘Pickup’ option on the Grubhub platform facilitates customers to purchase their food from their favorite restaurants without any complications.
Key Statistics Related to Grubhub:
- Grubhub has experienced a 39% increase in revenue year after year.
- In 2020 alone, Grubhub generated a revenue of $1.8 billion.
- Grubhub’s greatest loss, ever since its public launch in 2013, was in 2020. The net loss was estimated at $155 million.
- Grubhub had nearly 31.4 million active users in 2020. These individuals made use of the app at least once in a month.
The requirements for sign-up or registration vary from one food delivery platform to another. While registration on a few platforms takes only minutes, others are extensive and consume more time for the users.
Most of the sites request for primary information like direct deposit details so that they can integrate the restaurant’s financial details with their own service software. Ensure that you have the essential details at your desk or memory as you initiate this registration process. Restaurants are also required to upload certain legal documents and licenses if they decide to partner with UberEats.
How to Create Grubhub Admin Account for Restaurants:
Once the restaurant has signed up with Grubhub, within a few days, it will receive an official email from Grubhub that will allow restaurants to login to their admin account.
Here is the step-by-step process to create the Grubhub username and password for a restaurant:
- When you find the ‘CREATE YOUR PASSWORD’ link, click on it.
- Enter a new password, provide your confirmation and click SUBMIT.
- This will automatically redirect you to the website ‘restaurants.grubhub.com’
- Use your password to login via GRUBHUB FOR RESTAURANTS.
- Once you are logged in to restaurant.grubhub.com, type your username and email address. While the former is for your Basic Access, the latter is meant for your Admin Access.
- Type in the password
- Restaurateurs can prefer to choose the ‘Remember Me’ option so that they need not type the password every time they attempt to login.
- Click the ‘SIGN IN’ button.
Restaurant owners can contact the sales executives of Grubhub if they do not receive the login email.
Food Delivery App Features of Grubhub
i) A customer screen will have the following options:
- Browse Restaurants
- Browse Menu
- Order Placement
- Customize Order
- Payment Option
- Personal/Delivery Address
- Doorstep Delivery
- Order Tracking
- Feedback And Review
ii) The screen of a restaurant owner will have these options:
- Restaurant Register
- Receive Order
- Confirm Order
- Prepare Order
- Update Status
- Assign Delivery Executive
- Hand Over Order To Delivery Executive
- Customer Support
- Call The Delivery Executive
- Accounting & Reports
iii) The courier service screen on Grubhub will have the following elements:
- Account Setup
- Order Receipt
- Contact Information
- Restaurant Pick-Up
- Call To Restaurant
- GPS service
- Call/Message The User
Which Category Does Grubhub Help?
Grubhub can help any busy individual who does not have the time to go out for lunch or dinner. It allows hungry diners to order their favorite food from their favorite restaurant at a time that is convenient for them. Users can also filter the results based on speedy delivery, cuisine, culinary preferences, offers and so on.
Once the selection has been done, the user is presented with a screen that shows the name, logo, address, a facility to make phone calls and also to place an order online. When the user presses the place order option, a compilation of the entire delivery menu is presented. Users can tap on every single item, get to see an extended description and also decide at that moment whether it needs to be added to the order or not.
Management of Grubhub Menu Within the Grubhub for Restaurants Portal
When you log into the Grubhub For Restaurant Account, navigate to the left-hand sidebar on the desktop. If you are using the mobile to access the ‘Menu’ screen, you could also use the three-bar icon.
From this ‘Menu’ screen, one can easily identify and locate the menu items with the help of the search bar which is located at the top right corner of the screen.
Along with this, one can also view:
Using this, restaurant owners can organize and help diners differentiate between various culinary categories like desserts, drinks, main course, etc. Usage of ‘sections’ to categorize will help users navigate easily through the menu.
This will allow hungry customers to customize their orders according to their preferences. Restaurants can offer choices to the customers in the dressing varieties, toppings, add-ons or even an option to remove ingredients that they are allergic to.
Restaurants can inform customers about the days of the week or times of the day that certain menu items are available.
Within the restaurant’s online menu on Grubhub, one can include Drink sizes like 8 Oz or 16 Oz; Pizza sizes in inches (14 inches, 18 inches, 21 inches, etc.) or entree portions (half, full, etc.).
Grubhub Accepts Even Old-fashioned Cash
Grubhub is one among the very few online services that takes cash in certain instances. Grubhub’s website itself has the promise that it accepts payment modes like Apple Pay, Android Play, PayPal, eGift, credit cards or even the very old cash. It allows the restaurant owners to make the decision regarding what nature of payment suits them the best.
While Grubhub allows cash payments for restaurants who partner with the delivery service, it is finally the decision of the restaurant whether to accept cash payments. Only a few restaurants allow cash payments to be made due to the complex logistical challenges that they may have to face. Most of them prefer receiving payments via credit cards, Apple Pay, PayPal or other digital mediums.
This blog was meant to serve as the perfect guide for restaurateurs like you looking for an ideal third party food delivery service that does not eat into your profits. If you require further assistance in brand building, profit enhancement or business expansion, get in touch with Restaurantify.
LATEST BLOG POST