Dining using Quick Response (QR) code menus is a brand-new experience. With the onset of the pandemic and the world embracing the new normal, QR code menus are here to stay. Their ease-of-use has made them the most common user-friendly feature of restaurants and bars. They are the symbol of the new era of convenient dining governed by digital technology and innovation – thereby replacing the traditional paper menu.
This blog will let you know everything about a restaurant QR code menu – what it is, the numerous benefits it offers for both restaurant owners and patrons, how it works and how to create a QR code menu for the restaurant.
A QR code menu is the digital form of a hand-held, traditional, printed menu. It is accessible through a QR code which can be scanned by customers using their mobile phones. This technologically empowered innovative approach to presenting a restaurant menu results in great customer experience through contactless, efficient and interactive dining experience.
Gone are the days when people leisurely flipped through worn-out, physical menus. They have begun embracing this technology-driven, easy to use solution to decide what they would order for the day.
Functions of A Restaurant QR Code Menu
To know how this simple, user-friendly QR code menu works, read on:
The QR code will be displayed on table stands, posters or even on the table itself. Customers make use of the mobile phone camera or a QR code reader app to scan the displayed code.
When the code is scanned, the link to the digital menu opens in the web browser of the gadget. This allows them to view the entire menu as presented by the restaurant on their hand-held device or gadget.
Customers browse through the menu by swiping and zooming in or out. They also get to read the detailed descriptions of each dish. Few restaurants also add dietary information, allergen warnings and customizable options in their digital menus.
Based on the setup of the restaurant, customers can place orders directly via the digital menu. This streamlines the ordering process and reduces wait times.
Few QR code menus also permit customers to leave feedback or rate dishes, thus providing valuable feedback for the restaurant owner to improve customer experience and assist the brand building exercise.
Reasons To Use A QR Code Menu
QR code menus are becoming increasingly popular in restaurants and bars due to the following reasons:
- Increases Basket Size – It has been proven that proper implementation of QR code menus can increase basket size up to 30%.
- Lesser Wait Staff – QR code menus decrease the need for more wait staff.
- Lesser Errors – QR code menus reduce errors due to human intervention at all stages of the order and delivery process.
- Cost Reduction – Since QR code menus reduce the need to print menus every time an update is made, unnecessary printing is avoided. This reduces expenses and the wear-and-tear of paper menus.
- Social Media – QR code menus can integrate Facebook marketing cookies and provide share options using which customers can directly share the menu.
- Customer Demand – Having a QR menu code is essential to meet the expectations of the younger audiences.
- Speedy Table Turnover – These codes hasten the table turnover pace as customers order and pay digitally.
- Real-Time Menu Updates – Any changes or updates to the menu can be done in real-time. This reduces customer dissatisfaction as they are informed about available items alone.
- Experience – They provide a better menu experience by offering features like menu item search, filters that provide customized results and displaying past orders.
- Data – QR menu codes give the restaurant owner access to valuable data on customer preferences like items they clicked on the most this week. Customer feedback can also be submitted through the app.
- Menu Specials – The specials of the day are displayed at the top of the menu and customers need not be reliant on staff selling.
How To Make A QR Code Menu?
If you think that generating a QR code menu is a cumbersome process, then you are wrong. The process is not as daunting as you think. By using the right tools and following the right steps, the QR code menu can be up and running in no time.
The two ways to create a QR code menu are:
- Converting the PDF menu into digital menu
- Creating a digital menu from scratch
Converting PDF Menu To Digital Menu
If a PDF version of the menu is already available, it can be easily converted into a QR code menu. This can be done even free of cost by using some online platforms. All you must do is send your restaurant menu either in a PDF, JPEG, SVG or PNG format and get the digital menu ready within 48 hours.
Creating A Digital Menu From Scratch
This involves 8 steps:
- Create An Account
- Customize The Menu
- Add Logo
- Select Colors To Match The Brand Identity
- Download The QR Code For The Menu
- Test The QR Code In Different Smartphone Operating Systems
- Add The QR Code To The Table Stand Or Poster Design
- Print The QR Code Menu
Choosing Between A PDF Menu QR Code And Digital Menu QR Code
While both the QR codes provide customers with the digital version of the menu, some key differences do exist. They must be considered when choosing the best option for the restaurant.
PDF Menu QR Code
This code is generated by uploading the PDF version of the menu to a QR code generator. Upon scanning, the QR code directs the customers to download the restaurant menu in a PDF format. This QR code is very easy to create as there are several free QR code generators available online. Simply create a PDF version of the menu with a link, convert it into a QR code using a code generator and share it with customers.
Limitations of PDF Menu QR Code:
- Limited Customization – The menu is displayed only as a static PDF and does not have the ability to add interactive elements or real-time updates.
- Compatibility Issues – Viewing the PDF file may not be difficult in certain smartphones due to differences in the operating systems.
- Not Too User-Friendly – To view a PDF menu, customers must download it which is not convenient like accessing an instantly viewable digital menu.
Digital Menu QR Code
This QR code directs restaurant customers to a completely responsive, interactive and customizable web-based menu.
Advantages Of Digital Menu QR Code:
- Real-Time Updates – Menu changes can be made easily without the need to create the code again. All the QR codes can be updated at once.
- Mobile-Responsive – Digital menus are designed to work well in different smartphone operating systems, ensuring a seamless user experience.
- Interactive Elements – This menu allows adding images, videos and other interactive content which not only showcases the offerings but also engages customers.
- Long-Term Use – It is relevant for business, marketing and advertising and is best suited for long-term use. The scans are trackable as well.
Tips To Create A Digital QR Code For Restaurant Menu
- Make It Eye-Catching
- Ensure It Is Optimized For Mobile
- Use A Clean Layout With Easy-To-Read Fonts
- Include High-Quality Images
- Keep The Menu Updated
- Test The QR Code On Various Devices And Platforms
- Use Analytical Data About Customer Engagement To Optimize Offerings
This blog would have been useful in helping you learn how to make your own scannable restaurant menu QR code, expand the digital horizons of your business and attain flexibility in how to reach customer base efficiently in the fast-paced world. For further assistance in restaurant website building and digital marketing, get in touch.